Frequently Asked Questions

What is a grazing lease?

The first grazing leases in Alberta were instituted in 1881. The system was designed to encourage economic activity utilizing the forage resource on Crown land.

A grazing lease is a formal disposition from the Government of Alberta, normally granted on public land where grazing is considered to be the best long-term use of the land. The leases can be issued for a term not exceeding 20 years (usually issued for 10 years). Leaseholders have exclusive right to the use of land for grazing purposes.

Public access to lands under a grazing lease is governed by the Recreational Access Regulation under the Public Lands Act. Agreements for improving the quality of rage on the grazing leases (Range Improvement Agreements) are issued subject to certain conditions.

How many grazing leases are there in the province? What is required of a grazing leaseholder? What value does the grazing lease system provide to Alberta? What does it cost leaseholders to develop and maintain a grazing lease? Can I, as an Albertan, access a grazing lease to hunt? What about other recreational activities, like quadding or hiking? How can I find out who the leaseholder is on a specific parcel of land I want to access? I have heard that leaseholders receive large sums of money that should be going to the Alberta government. Can you explain this? How is compensation determined? I understand the Auditor General of Alberta did an audit of grazing leases and had some concerns. What were they? What are grazing leaseholders doing in response to the Auditor General's report? How do grazing leases contribute to economic diversification in Alberta? What are the ecological benefits of grazing leases? How do I know that grazing leaseholders are properly managing this resource? I have other questions that are not answered here. Who can help me?